What kind of rug pad is safe for hardwood floors?
You’re probably asking this because a rug pad you had placed on under your area rug on hardwood floors left some yellow stains on your precious floors.
I know how frustrating this can be and I know this because I’ve been through this before with my laminate floors.
So what kind of rug pad may have caused the staining issue?
I realized after so long that rug pads that have either a rubber or latex backing can stain or discolor your hardwood floors and other types of floors like laminate floors.
Usually, the most affected areas are high-traffic areas or areas that are often exposed to direct sunlight for prolonged periods.
Hardwood floors might be strong and durable, but they are really prone to damages like scratches, dents, staining, and even water damage.
That being said;
What Kind of Rug Pad is Safe for Hardwood Floors?
Most rug pads in the market have a backing that is made of either rubber or latex. These are not safe.
The only rug pad that is safe is one that is made of 100% felt.
The best rug pads for hardwood floors are those made with felt
A good example of such a rug that I would totally recommend is the RUGPADUSA – Basics – 5′ Square – 1/2″ Thick – 100% Felt – Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
Why Do I Recommend the RUGPADUSA 100% FELT Protective Cushioning Rug Pad?
The RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Rug Pad is one of the best rug pads that are completely safe for use on hardwood floors and all other types of floors.
This rug pad is made from only felt- which is 100% recycled felt that is made from excess carpet fibers.
It won’t stain or mark your floor finishes. It won’t even leave any residue behind.
Here is a list of all the things I love about the RUGPADUSA Felt Rug Pad;
- It does not contain any rubber or latex- this means it’s perfectly safe for your hardwood floors as it won’t stain or dull your floor finish
- It helps protect your hardwood floors against scratches and dents from rough area rugs as well as furniture- this is all because it adds a thick buffer between your rug and the floor
- It prolongs the life of your hardwood floors by creating a thick layer of cushion that protects your floors against wear and tear from foot traffic
- It provides luxurious comfort by providing a thick buffer between your hardwood floor and the rug
- It’s an ideal choice if you’re looking to maximize cushioning on your floors
- It has excellent sound absorption properties
- It has excellent insulation properties and thus helps keep the room warm. Combined with an area rug, your house will never feel as cold as it would be with bare hardwood floors
- It comes in a range of sizes so you can easily choose a pad that best suits your area rug
- It comes in a different thicknesses as well
- It can be easily trimmed with a pair of scissors to provide a custom fit for your rug
- It does not contain any toxic materials neither does it release any toxic fumes during unrolling- it’s perfectly safe
- It’s a high-quality and durable rug pad
- It’s made in the USA by one of the most reputable rug pad manufacturers in the industry
- It’s quite affordable and a great value for money since it will help protect your hardwood floors from damage. As you well know, hardwood floors can be extremely expensive to repair or replace
Where to Buy the RUGPADUSA Protective Cushion Pad?
You can purchase this rug pad directly on Amazon. You can Click Here to Check its Current Price.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rug Pads
1. Do Rug Pads Damage Hardwood Floors?
The only rug pad that will damage your hardwood floors is the one that has a rubber backing.
A rubber backing is often constructed in these pads to help with slipping problems.
However, since the chemicals in rubber tend to react with those in hardwood floor finishes, the pad may end up leaving huge patches of yellow stains on your floors.
Like I have stated above, the only rug pad that is completely safe for your hardwood floors is one that is only constructed with 100% felt material.
A felt rug pad like the RUGPADUSA Felt Protective Cushioning Pad is safe and therefore won’t damage your wood floors.
2. Is Latex Rug Pad Safe for Hardwood Floors?
Like rubber backed rug pads, latex rug pads are also unsafe for hardwood floors.
You see, the problem with latex is that it prevents airflow and therefore causes an accumulation of moisture beneath the pad.
As you already know, hardwood floors and moisture are incompatible as it causes the floors to deteriorate, not to mention stripping off the floor finish.
Another big problem with latex rug pads is that the plasticizers in latex coating can bleed into your hardwood floors, thus causing a chemical reaction that may discolor your floors.
Avoid rug pads that have latex as well. Felt rug pads are the safest rug pads to place under your area rug on hardwood floor.
3.Should Rug Pad Be the Same Size as the Rug?
No. A rug pad should not be the same size as the area rug.
It should be at least 1-inch smaller than the area rug.
This allows the edges of the rug to taper to the floor, thus preventing tripping hazards in case your shoe catches the edge of the rug.
What Kind of Rug Pad is Safe for Hardwood Floors?- Bottom Line
The RUGPADUSA Protective Cushioning Rug Pad is one of the best and safest rug pads for area rugs on hardwood floors.
Avoid purchasing rug pads that have a rubber or latex backing at all costs.