What kind of rug pad is safe for hardwood floors?
You’re probably asking this because a rug pad you had placed on under your area rug on hardwood floors left some yellow stains on your precious floors.
I know how frustrating this can be and I know this because I’ve been through this before with my laminate floors.
So what kind of rug pad may have caused the staining issue?
I realized after so long that rug pads that have either a rubber or latex backing can stain or discolor your hardwood floors and other types of floors like laminate floors.
Usually, the most affected areas are high-traffic areas or areas that are often exposed to direct sunlight for prolonged periods.
Hardwood floors might be strong and durable, but they are really prone to damages like scratches, dents, staining, and even water damage.
That being said;
What Kind of Rug Pad is Safe for Hardwood Floors?
Most rug pads in the market have a backing that is made of either rubber or latex. These are not safe.
The only rug pad that is safe is one that is made of 100% felt.
The best rug pads for hardwood floors are those made with felt
A good example of such a rug that I would totally recommend is the RUGPADUSA – Basics – 5′ Square – 1/2″ Thick – 100% Felt – Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
Why Do I Recommend the RUGPADUSA 100% FELT Protective Cushioning Rug Pad?
The RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Rug Pad is one of the best rug pads that are completely safe for use on hardwood floors and all other types of floors.
This rug pad is made from only felt- which is 100% recycled felt that is made from excess carpet fibers.
It won’t stain or mark your floor finishes. It won’t even leave any residue behind.
Here is a list of all the things I love about the RUGPADUSA Felt Rug Pad;
- It does not contain any rubber or latex- this means it’s perfectly safe for your hardwood floors as it won’t stain or dull your floor finish
- It helps protect your hardwood floors against scratches and dents from rough area rugs as well as furniture- this is all because it adds a thick buffer between your rug and the floor
- It prolongs the life of your hardwood floors by creating a thick layer of cushion that protects your floors against wear and tear from foot traffic
- It provides luxurious comfort by providing a thick buffer between your hardwood floor and the rug
- It’s an ideal choice if you’re looking to maximize cushioning on your floors
- It has excellent sound absorption properties
- It has excellent insulation properties and thus helps keep the room warm. Combined with an area rug, your house will never feel as cold as it would be with bare hardwood floors
- It comes in a range of sizes so you can easily choose a pad that best suits your area rug
- It comes in different thicknesses as well
- It can be easily trimmed with a pair of scissors to provide a custom fit for your rug
- It does not contain any toxic materials nor does it release any toxic fumes during unrolling- it’s perfectly safe
- It’s a high-quality and durable rug pad
- It’s made in the USA by one of the most reputable rug pad manufacturers in the industry
- It’s quite affordable and a great value for money since it will help protect your hardwood floors from damage. As you well know, hardwood floors can be extremely expensive to repair or replace
Where to Buy the RUGPADUSA Protective Cushion Pad?
You can purchase this rug pad directly on Amazon. You can Click Here to Check its Current Price.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rug Pads
1. Do Rug Pads Damage Hardwood Floors?
The only rug pad that will damage your hardwood floors is the one that has a rubber backing.
A rubber backing is often constructed in these pads to help with slipping problems.
However, since the chemicals in rubber tend to react with those in hardwood floor finishes, the pad may end up leaving huge patches of yellow stains on your floors.
As I have stated above, the only rug pad that is completely safe for your hardwood floors is one that is only constructed with 100% felt material.
A felt rug pad like the RUGPADUSA Felt Protective Cushioning Pad is safe and therefore won’t damage your wood floors.
2. Is Latex Rug Pad Safe for Hardwood Floors?
Like rubber backed rug pads, latex rug pads are also unsafe for hardwood floors.
You see, the problem with latex is that it prevents airflow and therefore causes an accumulation of moisture beneath the pad.
As you already know, hardwood floors and moisture are incompatible as it causes the floors to deteriorate, not to mention stripping off the floor finish.
Another big problem with latex rug pads is that the plasticizers in latex coating can bleed into your hardwood floors, thus causing a chemical reaction that may discolor your floors.
Avoid rug pads that have latex as well. Felt rug pads are the safest rug pads to place under your area rug on hardwood floor.
3. Should Rug Pad Be the Same Size as the Rug?
No. A rug pad should not be the same size as the area rug.
It should be at least 1-inch smaller than the area rug.
This allows the edges of the rug to taper to the floor, thus preventing tripping hazards in case your shoe catches the edge of the rug.
Why Do I Recommend The Mohawk Home 100 Percent Felt Rug Pad
One rug pad that is highly recommended and quite popular is the 8-foot by 10-foot quarter-inch thick Mohawk Home 100 Percent Felt Rug Pad. The Mohawk Home felt rug pad is a great option to help protect your precious hardwood floor from damage. It is made from high-quality and durable recycled materials to make it safe to use in your home.
Your hardwood floor will not become damaged if you use this rug pad under your rugs and carpets. This means your floor will keep looking good as it was intended.
Below, you can take a look at the other reasons why this rug pad is the ideal choice to use on your hardwood floors:
- This rug pad from Mohawk home is available in many different sizes, which means it will fit under most rugs. It is also available in up to three different thicknesses, from ¼ inch, ⅜ of an inch, and ½ inch thickness.
- The durable materials used in making this rug pad will keep it lasting and will provide protection for a long time to come. This means that your hardwood floor will stay protected for a long time and can be used on many different floor types.
- You also get a nice soft and dense cushioning effect from this pad to add a plush, soft, and comfortable feel. With this rug underfoot, it also means that your home will be quiet with no hard footsteps to hear when moving around.
- It is very easy to clean this pad. You can simply spot clean it to get rid of unsightly marks from it. If you don’t feel up to the task, you can always let it be cleaned professionally for a fresh look and smell.
Where To Buy The Mohawk Home Rug Pad?
You can get this versatile rug pad on Amazon. Look here for the latest price.
The very popular 6-foot by 9-foot Premium Comfortable Rug Pad From Mayshine Basics also comes highly recommended by many.
Why Do I Recommend The Mayshine Basics 100 Percent Felt Rug Pad
You can’t go wrong with this high-quality rug pad from Mayshine when it comes to protection for any flooring you may have. With the top-notch craftsmanship in making this rug pad, you will feel safe using it in your home to help protect your hardwood floor.
Walking on this rug pad will make it feel as if you are walking on air with the long-lasting cushioning effect it creates. Let’s take a closer look at more reasons why this rug pad is so popular with many homeowners.
- While this rug pad is available in a range of pre-cut sizes, it is also easy to cut it to any preferred size you need. This is great for when you need to cover a large area and need to cut it into smaller pieces for a perfect fit.
- With this rug pad in place, it will be much easier to vacuum any carpet you may use on your flooring at home. It is also easy to keep it cleaner for much longer to save you time and effort.
- These rug pads from Mayshine Basics are also available in different configurations that can be used for various home decor applications. This rug pad from Mayshine is also available in a non-slip option to provide better safety in your home with a rubber pad added.
- A range of colors is available when you need to add different decor options for improved aesthetics and display. The thick rug pad will also provide you with added protection against scratches and dents on the flooring.
Where To Buy The Mayshine Basics 100 Percent Felt Rug Pad?
You can find this rug pad on Amazon at an affordable price that offers great value for money. Click here for the newest price.
Another great choice is this highly recommended and popular NuLoom Ultra Premium Eco-Friendly Non-Slip Rug Pad.
Why Do I Recommend The NuLoom Ultra Premium Non-Slip Felt Rug Pad
With the many nice styles, this rug pad is available in, it can be used in a range of home décor options. But it is not just for décor; it also provides added protection for your hardwood floor and other types of flooring all while looking great and being functional.
With 100 percent felt materials, your flooring will be safe from accidental damage and it provides added safety with the non-slip feature. You will be happy to know that these are only some of the great features. Let’s look at the rest.
- What is great about these rug pads from NuLoom is that they can be used in many different environments, which makes them quite versatile. You can easily use it indoors and outdoors with the overall durable design you have with these rug pads.
- It will not slip when you walk over it to add a higher level of safety to any area rags you may use. This also means that it will not easily slip when you vacuum it making it much easier to clean.
- The non-slip rug pad is made from durable and strong PVC materials, so it will last a very long time. With this rug pad under your rugs and carpets, you will have protection for your expensive flooring for many years.
- With many different sizes to choose from, you will find the right size for your purpose from the list. It also comes in various shapes to provide you with more décor options in your home.
- This thick size rug pad from NuLoom will provide long-lasting protection for your floors and a more secure footing on the carpet.
Where To Buy The NuLoom Ultra Premium Rug Pad?
This rug pad is available on Amazon. You can find the latest price and more information for this rag pad here.
The 6-foot by 9-foot versatile Endurance 32 Felt Rug Pad From CraftRugs is popular among many homeowners due to its popular size.
Why Do I Recommend The Feet Endurance 32 Felt Rug Pad
This lightweight but durable rug pad will provide ample protection for most types of flooring you may have in your home. It is made from 100 percent recycled materials, which makes it eco-friendly and safe to be used in your home.
With the thick felt materials used to make this pad, you have protection for your hardwood flooring for a long time. There is also a long list of features added to this rug pad to make it a good choice to use for adding more protection.
- The Endurance 32 rug pad is made with durable materials that are compressed into a thick felt to make it feel soft under your feet. This feature also makes it a noiseless choice to keep the noise level down inside your home.
- Without added chemicals in the fabric used when making this pad, it is safe for use even in a baby’s or child’s room. It also has no added latex rubber, so it is safe to use on your hardwood floor without the worry of stains.
- It is also a great option to use under the carpet on hard surfaces where you have very little slippage. This also means that it adds soft padding for your underfoot or the rug in general for a higher level of comfort.
- When you use these rug pads from CraftRugs, you will be sure that your kids will have a safe and comfortable area to walk and play. Another great thing about these rug pads is that they come with a long 15-year warranty for your peace of mind.
Where To Buy The Endurance 32 Felt Rug Pad?
This rug pad is a great choice that can be bought on Amazon. Find the latest price for this rug pad at this link.
What Kind of Rug Pad is Safe for Hardwood Floors?- Bottom Line
The RUGPADUSA Protective Cushioning Rug Pad is one of the best and safest rug pads for area rugs on hardwood floors.
Avoid purchasing rug pads that have a rubber or latex backing at all costs.