If you’re looking for the best waterproof rugs for hardwood floors, you’ve come to the right place.
While hardwood floors are strong and durable, they are prone to water damage, just like any other type of wood.
Your wet shoes or water spills from your dog’s water bowl can quickly become a problem.
When water sits on top of hardwood floors, it can permanently ruin it as the wood absorbs water through its large pores.
This causes warping and even permanent discoloration.
The sad fact is that it takes at least 48 hours for water to damage your hardwood floors.
To protect your hardwood floors against water damage, you’re going to need a waterproof rug.
Best Waterproof Rugs for Hardwood Floors
Which Waterproof Rug Do I Recommend for Hardwood Floors?
The Kempf Water Retainer Entrance Mat, Indoor Outdoor Rubber Rug, Moisture Trapping, Absorbent Mat is currently one of the best waterproof rugs for hardwood floors.
Although it’s more like a doormat than it is a rug, this mat can be used anywhere in the house which is bound to experience water spillage
This includes the entrance, under your dog’s feeding area, in the bathroom, and other areas.
Since it’s also an outdoor mat, you can place it right outside the entrance door, by the pool, in the garage, and other areas.
What makes this rubber mat so perfect is the fact that it absorbs up to 1.5 gallons of water.
With such excellent absorbency and a waterproof rubber backing, this mat is a perfect choice for your hardwood floors.
As you probably know, rubber backed mats or rugs are not safe for hardwood floors.
Rubber mats can stain or discolor your hardwood floors over time. The discoloration can become permanently.
That’s why it’s highly advisable that you place a rug pad underneath this rubber rug.
A rug pad will go a long way to keep your precious hardwood floors well protected.
Which Rug Pad Do I Recommend for Hardwood Floors?
One of the best rug pads for hardwood floors is the best-selling Mohawk Home Felt Rubber All Surface Non-Slip Rug Pad.
The Mohawk Rug Pad will protect your hardwood wood floors from stains and discoloration due to the rubber rug.
The rug pad will also make your hardwood floors less slippery. However, you probably won’t need this functionality from this rug pad since the Kempf Mat has a rubber bottom which is non-slip.
Placing the Mohawk Rug Pad will also preserve the life of your hardwood floors by providing a protective cushion foundation between your hardwood floors and rugs.
Since your hardwood floors will experience less impact from foot traffic or from the weight of your furniture, it’s bound to last much longer.
The same goes for your Kempf Rubber mat as by providing a thick cushion foundation that absorbs more shock and impact, your rubber mat will also stand against normal wear and tear from everyday use.
Why Do I Recommend the Kempf Water Retainer Entrance Mat?
- It’s one of the best waterproof rugs for hardwood floors
- Since its waterproof, you can use it in parts of the house that get water splashes often- these include bathrooms, entrances, outside the doors, garage, under dog water bowls, and more
- It’s a highly absorbent rubber mat that is perfectly capable of holding up to 1.5 gallons of water
- It won’t slip on your hardwood floors and is therefore not a slipping hazard like some area rugs
- It’s made with high quality, durable materials- it will serve you for very many years
- It’s perfect for both indoor and outdoor use
- It’s perfect for all seasons- winter, summer, fall, spring
- It handles dirt really well
- It’s easy to vacuum
- You can wash it by hand too
- It lays flat on the surface- won’t buckle or curl
- It’s pretty affordable
What You May Not Like About the Kempf Non Slip Rubber Rug?
The fact that this rug mat has a rubber bottom means that it’s not safe for your hardwood floors.
Rubber-backed rugs are known to cause discolorations and stains on hardwood floors.
That’s why I’ve suggested installing a high-quality rug pad like the Mohawk Home Non Slip Rug Pad.
It will protect your hardwood floors, make your floors less slippery, and even prolong the life of your mat and the hardwood floor itself.
Another thing you should be aware of the strong unpleasant odor from the new rug.
It’s actually normal for rubber mats to expel some sort of unpleasant odor but the good news is that it will go away in just a few days.
Airing it outside on a sunny day is a good way to reduce the odor fast. Also, make sure the room is well ventilated in order to expel the odor.
Other than these two minor disadvantages that can easily be fixed, this rubber rug is totally awesome.
It’s durable, extremely absorbent, and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. It’s still one of the best waterproof rugs for hardwood floors.
Why Do I Recommend the Mohawk Home Non Slip Rug Pad?
- It helps protect your hardwood floors from staining and discoloration due to rubber mats and rugs
- Since its non slip, this rug pad helps prevent trip hazards by firmly gripping the floor
- It helps absorb noise
- It adds an extra layer of comfort between your feet and the hardwood floor
- It helps prolong the life of your rubber mat by adding a protective cushioning foundation
- It helps protect and prolong the life of your beautiful hardwood floors
- It won’t ruin your hardwood floors
- It won’t stain or discolor your hardwood floors
- It’s perfectly safe for all types of floors- including laminate, vinyl, tile, bamboo, and others
- It’s an excellent choice for placing under carpets and area rugs
- It’s made with high-quality and durable 100% recycled felt
- It has a non-staining rubber bottom that allows it to firmly grip hard floor surfaces
- Its 100% made in the USA
WaterProof Rugs for Hardwood Floors- Bottom Line
The trick to long lasting hardwood floors is keeping them scratch-free and moisture-free.
In fact, nothing damages hardwood floors faster than water and moisture. Usually, the damage can become permanent which may call for a replacement.
As you know, replacing hardwood floors can be pretty expensive.
That’s why it’s important that you protect water-prone hardwood floor surfaces.
The Kempf Water Retainer Entrance Mat is one of the best waterproof rugs for hardwood floors.
It’s capable of holding up to 1.5 gallons of water, making it an excellent choice for water-prone areas.
And like I said, since this mat has a rubber backing, you’ll want to protect your hardwood floors from stains and discolorations by installing the Mohawk Non Slip Rug Pad.