If you’re looking for the best waterproof rugs for hardwood floors, you’ve come to the right place.
While hardwood floors are strong and durable, they are prone to water damage, just like any other type of wood.
Your wet shoes or water spills from your dog’s water bowl can quickly become a problem.
When water sits on top of hardwood floors, it can permanently ruin it as the wood absorbs water through its large pores.
This causes warping and even permanent discoloration.
The sad fact is that it takes at least 48 hours for water to damage your hardwood floors.
To protect your hardwood floors against water damage, you’re going to need a waterproof rug.
Best Waterproof Rugs for Hardwood Floors
Which Waterproof Rug Do I Recommend for Hardwood Floors?
The Kempf Water Retainer Entrance Mat, Indoor Outdoor Rubber Rug, Moisture Trapping, Absorbent Mat is currently one of the best waterproof rugs for hardwood floors.
Although it’s more like a doormat than it is a rug, this mat can be used anywhere in the house which is bound to experience water spillage
This includes the entrance, under your dog’s feeding area, in the bathroom, and other areas.
Since it’s also an outdoor mat, you can place it right outside the entrance door, by the pool, in the garage, and other areas.
What makes this rubber mat so perfect is the fact that it absorbs up to 1.5 gallons of water.
With such excellent absorbency and a waterproof rubber backing, this mat is a perfect choice for your hardwood floors.
As you probably know, rubber backed mats or rugs are not safe for hardwood floors.
Rubber mats can stain or discolor your hardwood floors over time. The discoloration can become permanently.
That’s why it’s highly advisable that you place a rug pad underneath this rubber rug.
A rug pad will go a long way to keep your precious hardwood floors well protected.
Which Rug Pad Do I Recommend for Hardwood Floors?
One of the best rug pads for hardwood floors is the best-selling Mohawk Home Felt Rubber All Surface Rug Pad.
The Mohawk Rug Pad will protect your hardwood wood floors from stains and discoloration due to the rubber rug.
The rug pad will also make your hardwood floors less slippery. However, you probably won’t need this functionality from this rug pad since the Kempf Mat has a rubber bottom which is non-slip.
Placing the Mohawk Rug Pad will also preserve the life of your hardwood floors by providing a protective cushion foundation between your hardwood floors and rugs.
Since your hardwood floors will experience less impact from foot traffic or from the weight of your furniture, it’s bound to last much longer.
The same goes for your Kempf Rubber mat as by providing a thick cushion foundation that absorbs more shock and impact, your rubber mat will also stand against normal wear and tear from everyday use.
Why Do I Recommend the Kempf Water Retainer Entrance Mat?
- It’s one of the best waterproof rugs for hardwood floors
- Since its waterproof, you can use it in parts of the house that get water splashes often- these include bathrooms, entrances, outside the doors, garage, under dog water bowls, and more
- It’s a highly absorbent rubber mat that is perfectly capable of holding up to 1.5 gallons of water
- It won’t slip on your hardwood floors and is therefore not a slipping hazard like some area rugs
- It’s made with high quality, durable materials- it will serve you for very many years
- It’s perfect for both indoor and outdoor use
- It’s perfect for all seasons- winter, summer, fall, spring
- It handles dirt really well
- It’s easy to vacuum
- You can wash it by hand too
- It lays flat on the surface- won’t buckle or curl
- It’s pretty affordable
What You May Not Like About the Kempf Non Slip Rubber Rug?
The fact that this rug mat has a rubber bottom means that it’s not safe for your hardwood floors.
Rubber-backed rugs are known to cause discolorations and stains on hardwood floors.
That’s why I’ve suggested installing a high-quality rug pad like the Mohawk Home Non Slip Rug Pad.
It will protect your hardwood floors, make your floors less slippery, and even prolong the life of your mat and the hardwood floor itself.
Another thing you should be aware of the strong unpleasant odor from the new rug.
It’s actually normal for rubber mats to expel some sort of unpleasant odor but the good news is that it will go away in just a few days.
Airing it outside on a sunny day is a good way to reduce the odor fast. Also, make sure the room is well ventilated in order to expel the odor.
Other than these two minor disadvantages that can easily be fixed, this rubber rug is totally awesome.
It’s durable, extremely absorbent, and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. It’s still one of the best waterproof rugs for hardwood floors.
Why Do I Recommend the Mohawk Home Non Slip Rug Pad?
- It helps protect your hardwood floors from staining and discoloration due to rubber mats and rugs
- Since its non slip, this rug pad helps prevent trip hazards by firmly gripping the floor
- It helps absorb noise
- It adds an extra layer of comfort between your feet and the hardwood floor
- It helps prolong the life of your rubber mat by adding a protective cushioning foundation
- It helps protect and prolong the life of your beautiful hardwood floors
- It won’t ruin your hardwood floors
- It won’t stain or discolor your hardwood floors
- It’s perfectly safe for all types of floors- including laminate, vinyl, tile, bamboo, and others
- It’s an excellent choice for placing under carpets and area rugs
- It’s made with high-quality and durable 100% recycled felt
- It has a non-staining rubber bottom that allows it to firmly grip hard floor surfaces
- Its 100% made in the USA
Which Waterproof Rug Do I Recommend For Hardwood Floors?
The Dexi Indoor And Outdoor Entrance Doormat is one of the most popular choices, with quite a high rating from Amazon users.
You will find that this doormat comes in three colors: blue, black, and brown. This may not be great for those who need a lot of colors to choose from, but it will at least give you some choice.
It is designed to be durable and strong to withstand harsh weather and conditions. That is exactly what you want from a doormat that needs to protect your precious flooring from scratches and dents.
With the efficient dirt capturing feature, you will be sure it will help to keep your floor free of dirt and mud. That is because it is made from polypropylene material with a patterned groove to capture everything stuck on your shoes.
Why Do I Recommend the Dexi Indoor And Outdoor Entrance Doormat?
- This mat comes with a good waterproof feature added to make it safe to use on your hardwood floor for protection. However, you will need to add a rug pad to protect your hardwood floor against the rubber, which will be extra.
- Doormats from Dexi are available in a wide range of sizes to make it easier to find the right size for you. These sizes range from 17 x 29 inches to the largest size of 35 x 59 inches.
- Cleaning this doormat will be easy with a simple vacuum cleaning, sweep it off with a broom, or simply rinse it.
- It is also quite safe to use around your house with the non-slip backing to prevent it from moving around.
- It is waterproof, so water will not soak through the doormat onto your expensive hardwood floor.
What You May Not Like About the Dexi Indoor And Outdoor Entrance Doormat?
- Because the ends are sloped, which makes the mat low profile, it may become water logged after some time. This means you must drain it regularly if you use it outside during the rainy seasons, which results in extra effort.
- It also comes with a rubber backing which is not the best option for hardwood floors and might stain them after time. It is also available in only three colors, limiting your choice when you need one to fit in with your home decor setup.
The Gorilla Grip Original Low Profile Rubber Doormat is a well-known brand that instills trust and peace of mind in users.
The overall design of this doormat from Gorilla Grip makes it strong and durable to last for a very long time. The high-quality recycled rubber it is made from makes it tough yet still flexible to make it easy to use.
With so many colors to choose from, you can easily get the right color to fit in with your style and home decor. There are up to eight colors to choose from and a range of sizes to get the perfect fit for your doorway.
You can easily use this doormat for indoor or outdoor areas where you need to protect your flooring.
Why Do I Recommend the Gorilla Grip Original Low Profile Rubber Doormat?
- It has a soft and comfortable top side to make it easy to walk on and help keep your floor soft. This means it is not hard on bare feet while it provides enough protection for your hardwood flooring.
- The low-profile design of this mat makes it easy to throw right in the doorway without obstructing the door.
- With the easy-to-clean top side of this doormat, you can simply shake off the dirt in the bin when it becomes too dirty. However, the rubber part might be a bit more difficult to clean.
- A waterproof feature makes it safe to be used on your expensive hardwood floor to prevent water from soaking through. This will keep any floor protected against such things as molding.
- The raised top will help to trap dirt and prevent it from being trampled all over your floor to keep it protected.
- The rubber backing will prevent the doormat from slipping around and scratching your hardwood flooring.
What You May Not Like About the Gorilla Grip Original Low Profile Rubber Doormat
- This doormat is quite thin and might not withstand the harsh treatment a lot of traffic will put it through. That is why it is recommended to use this mat in areas where you do not have many people who will use that area.
- You might also find it difficult to clean this doormat as dirt can get stuck to the rough surface. It also will shed some of the rubber pieces that may come off after some time. This will need regular cleaning.
The KMat 2-Pack Indoor And Outdoor Non-Slip Doormat is currently very popular among homeowners with hardwood floors, which can be seen in the sales figures.
This doormat is made from durable rubber backing with a soft and comfortable top side for easy use. It is also flexible enough for an easy throw and durable enough to last a long time.
With the overall durability and the waterproof feature, this mat will keep your hardwood floor protected. It also prevents dirt from being carried to your hardwood floor with the dirt trapping feature in the soft but durable top.
This doormat can be used indoors and outdoors and is a good option for high-traffic areas. With the durable and ribbed polyester fabric used to make it, it will be easy to prevent dirt from getting to your flooring.
You can easily clean this doormat with soap and water if a more serious cleaning is needed to eliminate all the dirt. The waterproof feature also allows the doormat to dry quickly and prevents water from getting to your hardwood floor.
Why Do I Recommend the KMat 2-Pack Indoor And Outdoor Non-Slip Doormat?
- You can have these doormats from KMat at a very affordable price, where you get two for the price of one. This is great if you need more than one mat to keep your expensive hardwood floor protected against dirt and mud.
- You can easily clean these doormats when they get dirty with an easy sweeping or quick vacuum cleaning.
- The strong and durable rubber is made with a non-slip feature to prevent scratches on your expensive flooring.
- With the waterproof feature, no fluids will soak through these mats, so it will keep your hardwood floor dry.
- You get great value for your money with the doormats from KMat because you get two of them at a very affordable price point.
What You May Not Like About the KMat 2-Pack Indoor And Outdoor Non-Slip Doormat
- This doormat from KMat is only available in black or gray-black colors, which limits your choice of color. This is not good for those who prefer happy or neutral colors in their homes for a better display.
- You also do not have different sizes, so you will be stuck with just the 17 x 30-inch size.
WaterProof Rugs for Hardwood Floors- Bottom Line
The trick to long lasting hardwood floors is keeping them scratch-free and moisture-free.
In fact, nothing damages hardwood floors faster than water and moisture. Usually, the damage can become permanent which may call for a replacement.
As you know, replacing hardwood floors can be pretty expensive.
That’s why it’s important that you protect water-prone hardwood floor surfaces.
The Kempf Water Retainer Entrance Mat is one of the best waterproof rugs for hardwood floors.
It’s capable of holding up to 1.5 gallons of water, making it an excellent choice for water-prone areas.
And like I said, since this mat has a rubber backing, you’ll want to protect your hardwood floors from stains and discolorations by installing the Mohawk Non Slip Rug Pad.