What kind of rug pad is safe for vinyl plank flooring? This is a common question often asked by homeowners who have installed vinyl plank floors.
Before I inform you about the best rug pad that is safe for vinyl plank flooring, here is something important you should know.
Why Rubber-Backed Area Rugs Can Ruin your Vinyl Plank Flooring
Have you ever placed a rubber-backed area rug on a vinyl plank flooring or luxury vinyl plank floor only to find yellow stains on the floor surface? And no matter how hard you try to clean it, it won’t just come off?
Well, the cause of this is usually due to a chemical reaction between the rubber backing and the floor finish. This is a common problem with rubber-backed rugs and if do not take the necessary measures, the stains can permanently ruin your beautiful floors.
I experienced the same problem with my hardwood floors after unknowingly leaving a rubber-backed area rug on the floor for too long.
I honestly had no idea that rugs with rubber backing can ruin your beautiful floors.
I would later learn that these kind of area rugs are not suitable not just for hardwood floors, but other sensitive floors such as;
- Vinyl plank flooring
- Linoleum floor
- Bamboo flooring
I learned that best way to prevent this is by installing a felt rug pad on your vinyl plank flooring.
It worked for my hardwood floors and I guarantee it’s going to work for you.
What Kind of Rug Pad is Safe for Vinyl Plank Flooring?
The best kind of rug pad is the RUGPADUSA – Basics Thick – 100% Felt – Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
The RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Protective Cushioning Rug Pad is currently one of the best-selling rug pads on Amazon. Its popularity has everything to do with the fact that it’s only made up of felt, which means that this rug pad will not stain your beautiful vinyl plank floors and will act as a protective barrier between your area rug and luxury vinyl plank flooring.
According to its manufacturer, this rug pad is safe for all types of floors and will not react with the chemical finishes on your floor surface.
The rug pad comes in varying thickness which is great because you can choose the preferred thickness depending on how much cushioning you want.
That said, I am going to list down all the reasons why the RUGPADUSA Rug Pad is the best rug pads safe for vinyl plank floors.
Rug Pads Safe for Vinyl Plank Floors
Why Do I Recommend the RUGPADUSA Protective Cushioning Rug Pad?
- It protects the vinyl plank floor underneath from discoloration- the biggest benefit of installing the RUGPADUSA rug pad under your area rug is that it helps protect your precious floors from possible discoloration. If your area rug has a rubber backing, the chemicals in the floor finish may react with the rubber and leave a hard-to-remove yellow stain on the floor. High-traffic and areas exposed to direct sunlight are more prone to such stains. Placing this rug pad underneath will protect your beautiful floors from discoloration. Its made of 100% felt, so its completely safe for your floors.
- It protects your floor from scratches and wear- this rug pad acts as a protective barrier between the area rug and vinyl plank flooring. The thick cushioning barrier protects your sensitive flooring against abrasion and scratches from furniture as well as area rugs that have rough backings. This will make your both your floor and area rug last longer.
- Adds luxurious comfort- The RUGPADUSA rug pad comes in different thicknesses- 1/2 inch, ¼ inch, and 3/8 inch. The 1/2 inch option is the thickest and most dense so if you want to maximize cushioning, you can place this rug pad for added feet comfort.
- Prolongs the life of your area rug and vinyl plank flooring- Like I’ve stated above, placing a rug pad underneath your rug is a good way to prolong the life of the rug and the floor. Because it’s thick and dense, it absorbs the majority of impact from foot traffic. Its designed to compress and bounces back quickly, thus putting less strain on your area rug while reducing wear on your floor.
- Helps with noise reduction- the extra thickness helps absorb sound, thus reducing noise. It’s an excellent soundproofing solution
- Helps increase warmth-in addition to increased comfort, this rug pad helps add warmth due to its excellent insulation properties
- Its hypoallergenic- another important benefit is that it’s hypoallergenic. It will therefore not cause any respiratory issues. However, your area rug may collect a lot of dust and allergies. Make sure you vacuum regularly to avoid respiratory issues
- It’s made in the USA- quality guaranteed
- Easy to cut to size-if you can’t find the right size rug pad for your area rug, you easily trim it with a pair of scissors to fit your rug
- It’s safe for all types of floors
NB: This rug pad is not meant to stop rugs from slipping on the floor, especially in high-traffic areas. It’s particularly designed for larger area rugs that are anchored down by heavy furniture. They are also recommended for heavy rugs that stay in place on their own. If you want a non-slip rug pad for your vinyl plank flooring, I recommend the RUGPADUSA Dual Surface Felt + Rubber Non-Slip Backing Rug Pad. It prevents slipping, sliding or wrinkling in high-traffic areas.
Also see: Best Rug Pad for Jute Rug
How Much Does It Cost?
The RUGPADUSA Rug Pad is reasonably priced. You can click here to check its current price on Amazon.
The pricing depends on the selected size and thickness. You can purchase a large pad to fit your large area rug or a smaller on to fit a small rug.
You can also choose one depending on the shape of your area rug. Available options are in two main shapes: square and round.
Also see: Do You Need a Rug Pad with a Jute Rug?
Frequently Asked Questions About Rug Pads on Vinyl Plank Flooring (FAQs)
1. Do You Need a Rug Pad on Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Well, yes! You definitely need a rug pad on vinyl plank flooring.
Like I’ve mentioned earlier, floorings like vinyl plank flooring are prone to staining.
Thus, when you install an area rug that has a rubber backing, there is a possibility that your beautiful floor will end up with yellow stains over time.
Your best bet when it comes to preventing this is by installing a high-quality felt rug pad like the RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
I cannot stress this enough.
Of course, purchasing a rug pad that is large enough to cover all the rugs in your home is going to cost you. However, the cost doesn’t match the amount of money you’ll have to spend repairing or replacing your vinyl plank flooring after wear and tear, staining, or scratching.
2.What Kind of Rugs are Safe for Vinyl Plank Flooring?
The Unique Loom Solo Solid Shag Collection Modern Plush Graphite Gray Area Rug is one of the best rugs safe for vinyl plank flooring.
The reason why I am recommending this shag area rug is because it does not have a rubber backing.
This simply means it will not leave hard-to-remove stains on your flooring.
The rug has a cotton backing which is completely safe not just for vinyl plank floors, but also for hardwood, laminate, vinyl, and linoleum floors.
Will this rug slip or move around?
Well, no. It might move a little bit in high traffic areas. In this case, I recommend installing a double-sided carpet tape to hold it down and prevent it from slipping. One of the best and most effective double-sided carpet tape is the YYXLIFE Double-Sided Carpet Tape for Area Rugs.
Still, because this shag rug is incredibly heavy, chances are that it won’t move as much as most area rugs in the market. I recommend placing heavy furniture over this rug to keep it from sliding.
3. Should Rug Pad Be Same Size as Rug?
No, a rug pad should not be the same size as a rug. It should be slightly smaller than the actual size of the rug.
Basically, the rug pad should be about 1 inch less than the size of the area rug on all four sides.
Why is this important?
Well, when the rug pad is slightly smaller in size than the rug, the edges of the rug taper to the floor.
By preventing the edges from curling, the risk of tripping when your shoe heel catches the edge of the rug is greatly reduced.
Another important advantage is that premature wear and tear is greatly reduced. Your area rug will remain in great shape for a very long time.
If you can’t find the right size rug pad for your area rug, don’t worry.
All rug pads can be easily trimmed with a pair of scissors to fit the size of your rug.
What Rug Padding Should You Avoid Using?
Despite how limited their appeal may seem, the rug pad market is robust and extensive, and numerous options are available to you. With so much choice and variety, there are bound to be a few stinkers that can be tough to avoid – if you do not know what to look out for.
There is a lot to consider when purchasing the right rug pad. First, you will need to decide on a size. Note that here, size refers to thickness. The size you choose will depend on the size of your carpet.
Whatever your choice is, we recommend avoiding cheap, low-quality rug pads such as those made from PVC, as they can often cause more damage than they prevent. These rug pads have a bad habit of emitting noxious, harmful volatile organic chemicals (VOC). Not only are these chemicals harmful to the environment, but they also significantly reduce your indoor air quality.
We recommend opting for rug pads made from natural rubber to avoid this. These not only promote sustainable living, but they are also well-known for their non-slip properties. For extra comfort, you could opt for a rug pad made from a combination of natural rubber and felt.
What Kind of Rug Pad is Safe for Vinyl Plank Flooring- Bottom Line
There you have it.
The RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Thick Protective Cushioning Rug Pad is the safest rug pad for your vinyl flooring.
I highly recommend this rug pad because I use it too on my hardwood floors.
It has never stained my floors, not to mention that it increases comfort with its bouncy feel, has soundproofing benefits, and also provides insulation and thus keeps your floor warm especially during the cold winter season.
It’s one of the best-selling rug pads on Amazon so you’re sure that this is something that thousands of homeowners have used and are happy with.