Vinyl floors are some of the most durable, easy to maintain, and versatile types of floors. However, like most hard floor surfaces like hardwood floors, laminate floors, tile floors, marble floors, and others, vinyl flooring is quite smooth and therefore slippery. For this reason, a lot of homeowners often prefer purchasing non slip rugs for vinyl floors.
Before I go one, take a look at 5 of the best non slip rugs for vinyl floors on Amazon right now;
Why Rubber-Backed Area Rugs are Not Safe for Vinyl Floors and What to Do About it
Sadly, most of these homeowners have absolutely no idea that most non slip rugs have rubber or latex backings that may discolor their beautiful vinyl floors.
Other area rugs have synthetic backings that are too rough and therefore tend to leave scratches and marks on their floors.
Although most non-slip rugs in the market have rubber backing, it doesn’t mean you should never purchase them. There is actually a very effective way in which you can safely place a rubber backed or latex backed area rug on your vinyl floors without risking any discoloration or scratches.
I am talking about placing a high-quality non-slip rug pad like the RUGPADUSA – Basics – 5′ Square – 1/2″ Thick – 100% Felt – Protective Cushioning Rug Pad between the vinyl floor and area rug.
This rug pad is made of 100% felt- it does not contain any rubber, latex, or any other material that may end up harming your beautiful floors.
I totally recommend this rug pad over other pads that have rubber.
NB: This rug pad is not intended to stop area rugs from slipping especially in high traffic areas. It’s designed for heavy rugs that stay in place on their own or larger rugs that can be anchored with heavy furniture. And since the 5 non slip rugs I have recommended are quite heavy, it’s all good. I also recommend purchasing a bigger rug so you can anchor it down with heavy furniture like couches or beds. This will prevent it from slipping.
That said, right below is a comprehensive review of 5 of the best non slip rugs for vinyl floors.
Best Non Slip Rugs for Vinyl Floors (Our Top 5 Picks)
The nuLOOM Moroccan Blythe Accent Rug is currently one of the best area rugs for vinyl floors.
Unlike most rugs, the Blythe rug does not have a rubber backing, making it completely safe for your vinyl floors.
However, the fact that it doesn’t have a rubber or latex backing makes it prone to slipping.
Unless you intend to anchor such a rug with heavy furniture, I recommend placing a high-quality and dense rug pad like the RUGPADUSA 100% Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
That said, here is a list of more advantages you’ll get with the nuLOOM Moroccan Blythe Accent Rug;
- It’s stylish, versatile, and really beautiful- just what you need to enhance your home décor. The rug boasts of a Moroccan-Inspired design that looks amazing in a wide range of home styles including traditional, contemporary, bohemia, mid-century modern, and more
- It’s a stain-resistant area rug, which means that stains don’t actually set in. Stains are easy and quick to remove. The manufacturer recommends spot cleaning for mild stains with a carpet cleaner and dry cleaning for major stains.
- It’s easy to clean and maintain- regular vacuuming is recommended
- It’s made with 100% polypropylene material, a durable and sturdy material that will stand against everyday wear and tear, even in high-traffic areas. This makes it perfect for high traffic areas, kids, and even pets
- It does not shed- the rug is machine woven with incredibly durable fiber that won’t shed even when your pets scratch on on it
- Its available in a wide range of colors that look amazing in just any setting
- It comes in a range of sizes for different room sizes- for smaller rooms, the manufacturer recommends choosing a rug measuring 5’ x 8’ or 6’ x 9’. For a larger room, rugs measuring between 6’ x 9’ and 8’ x 10’ are an ideal choice. For bigger rugs for placing furniture at the centre of the room, the manufacturer recommends large sized rugs measuring up to 9’ x 12’ or large. Of course, it’s important that you take the measurements of your room to ensure you only purchase the exact rug size
- As a low-pile rug with a 0.37” pile height, this rug can be placed underneath furniture, in entryways, and even near doors as the low pile will not obstruct doorways
- It’s really durable, affordable, and a great value for your hard-earned money
Our second best rug for vinyl floor is the Unique Loom Solo Solid Shag Collection Modern Plush.
It comes in a wide variety of colors, is really stylish, comes in different sizes, and most importantly, it’s built to last.
However, one little disadvantage with this rug is that it actually slips especially since it does not have a rubber or latex backing.
Like I discussed earlier, rugs that have rubber or latex backing are not safe for your vinyl floors as they can leave some serious stain marks that may be really hard to remove.
Since it slips, the manufacturer recommends placing a rug pad underneath it to prevent slipping and sliding.
The RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Protective Cushioning Pad is one of the best rug pads for vinyl and all other types of floors.
NB: Since this rug is constructed with polypropylene, it will expel some smell as the rug off-gases. The smell will eventually subside and should not really be a cause for concern. You can hasten the off-gassing process by leaving it outdoors on a sunny day to maximize aeration.
Overall, the Unique Loom is a budget-friendly area rug that will match nicely with your home décor. Make sure you place a rug pad underneath it to protect your vinyl flooring from discoloration.
The Safavieh California Premium Shag Collection Area Rug is yet another high-quality rug that is suitable for your vinyl floor.
Before I discuss its many benefits, I would like to inform you that this rug slips since it does not have a rubber or latex backing to help it stay in place.
For this reason, you’ll need to place a rug pad between the rug and vinyl floor in order to prevent slipping and sliding.
For this rug, I am also going to recommend the RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
However, since it slips as well, I recommend getting a bigger rug so you can anchor it down with couches and other heavy furniture.
Here is a list of all the things you’ll love about the Safavieh California Premium Shag Collection.
- It’s a thick rug with 1 2-inch pile height that gives it a plush texture for luxurious comfort
- It’s quite heavy and when used together with a dense rug pad, it won’t slip or slide easily on your vinyl floor
- It doesn’t shed easily thanks to the strong, durable fibres its constructed with
- Its built to last as its constructed with high-density polypropylene yarn to ensure durability and longevity
- It comes in a wide range of colors, with some neutral colors that allow for endless furnishing options
- It comes in a range of sizes
- It’s ideal for living room, bedroom, home office, kids’ room, and dining room
- It’s a budget-friendly area rug
The Safavieh Madison Collection MAD611F Bohemian Chic Vintage Area Rug is one of the most stylish area rugs in the market.
Boasting of a Bohemian Chic Design, this rug gives your room a classic, elegant look and a distressed appearance for understated elegance.
Like most rugs I’ve recommended, the Safavieh MAD611F does not have a rubber or latex backing and this causes it to slip.
Although placing a felt rug pad like the RUGPADUSA may not fully solve the slipping problem, purchasing a larger rug that can be anchored down with heavy furniture will make the rug pad completely non-slip.
All the same, this is a really stylish and versatile rug that will match perfectly with your home décor.
It’s thick enough to provide luxurious comfort, not to mention its 0.37-inc pile height allows it to be placed on doorways without causing any obstruction.
The rug is built to last and is constructed with non-shedding high-quality polypropylene fibers for durability, comfort, and ease of maintenance.
Overall, the Safavieh MAD611F area rug is an excellent choice if you’re looking for something stylish and elegant, yet safe for your sensitive vinyl floors.
And last but not least, we have the Unique Loom Sofia Traditional Area Rug.
The rug is really stylish and is made with polypropylene, a really durable material that will ensure its durability and longevity.
It has a strong jute backing which makes it even more long-lasting.
I know you desperately need a rubber-backed area rug for its non-slip benefits. However, the jute backing is really slippery so I am still going to recommend placing a thick rug pad like the RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Protective Cushioning Pad between the rug and vinyl floor.
Overall, this is one of the best area rugs for vinyl floors. And since it does not have a rubber backing, you can actually purchase a larger rug and anchor it down with the couches and tables.
Still, you’ll need to place some rug grippers like the best-selling Home Techpro Non Slip Rug Grippers. These will help prevent the rug from slipping and curling at the edges.
Best Non Slip Rugs for Vinyl Floors- Bottom Line
The rugs I’ve recommended do not have rubber or latex backings and will therefore slip on your smooth vinyl floor.
But this is actually a good thing since these kinds of rugs tend to discolor vinyl floors.
The good news is that you can protect your vinyl flooring from staining and slipping at the same time by placing a high-quality rug pad between the rug and the vinyl floor.
Go ahead and take a pick from this comprehensive list of the best non slip rug for vinyl floors.