Putting an area rug on top of a carpet is one of the best ways to protect your carpet while adding some more depth and cushioning.
However, area rugs have the inconvenient habit of slipping and sliding out of their original positions.
An slipping or bunching area rug doesn’t just make your room messy and unsightly, it also poses a dangerous slipping hazard.
One of the best ways to secure an area rug on top of a carpet is by anchoring it with furniture.
However, if anchoring it with furniture isn’t possible, there are two main ways to stop the rug from slipping for good.
- Using a High-quality non-slip Rug Pad like the Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non Slip Rug Pad
- Using a Double-Sided Carpet Tape like the XFasten Double Sided Carpet Tape for Area Rugs, Residue-Free
- Buying a heavy area rug like the Safavieh California Premium Shag Collection SG151-1313 Area Rug
Let’s discuss each one of them;
How to Secure Area Rug on Top of Carpet
1. How to Secure Area Rug on Top of Carpet using a Non-Slip Rug Pad
A rug pad does a great job keeping an area rug from shifting and rippling over a carpet or other types of floors like hardwood and vinyl floors.
Additionally, rug pads prevent damage to the carpet under the area rug. By providing a good shield against foot traffic and moving furniture, a rug pad also prolongs the life of your carpet.
All you have to do is find a rug pad that is almost the same size as your area rug and place it on top of the carpet.
The rug pad should be slightly smaller than the carpet.
Which Rug Pad Do I Recommend for Securing Area Rug on Top of Carpet?
There are many rug pads that you can use to secure your beautiful area rug on top of your carpet.
However, I am only going to recommend the Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non Slip Rug Pad for a number of reasons;
- Its currently one of the best-selling rug pads on Amazon right now
- The rug pad has a rubber backing with a textured pattern that allows for more grip to your carpet or floor. This makes it one of the best non-slip pad for area rugs
- The fiber side has a rough feel that helps to firmly grip the rug backing, keeping it in place
- You can use it with all types of area rugs- there are no exceptions
- It’s available in a wide-range of sizes. Carefully choose the right size for your area rug.
- The rug pad can be trimmed to size- in case you purchase a bigger rug pad than the area rug, you can simply cut it to fit the area rug
- The rug pad is quite thick- It has a ¼ -inch thickness which provides a plusher feel while walking on the rug
- The rug pad gives your area rug some additional thickness which also increases the warmth of your area rug
- It adds add a layer of comfort between your feet and hard surfaces
- It’s made with 100 percent high-quality felt rubber
- Since it’s a non-slip rug pad, it helps prevent trip hazards especially when your shoe heel gets caught on the edge of the rug
- It prevents curling of the rug
- It increases the durability of the rug and carpet
- It makes your carpeted floor soundproof by increasing noise absorption
- Provides excellent shock absorption
- It is easy to clean
- Its budget-friendly
- It’s made in the USA-quality and satisfaction guaranteed
How Much Does the Mohawk Non-Slip Rug Pad Cost
The Mohawk Non-Slip Rug pad is reasonably priced.
It’s a heavy-duty carpet tape that is quite long so you can use a single roll to keep various area rugs on the carpet in place.
2. How To Stop Rugs Creeping on Carpet with a Double-Sided Carpet Tape
Using a double-sided carpet tape is an easy and inexpensive way to stop your area rug from creeping on the carpet.
All you have to do is simply apply the tape directly on to the back of your rug and then press it in place. The tape will make both the area rug and carpet stick together, thus prevent it from slipping.
Since this carpet tape is not designed to leave any marks or stick residue on your rug or carpet, you don’t have to worry about it causing any irreversible damage.
Which Double Sided Carpet Tape Do I Recommend?
I am going to recommend the XFasten Double Sided Carpet Tape for Area Rugs, Residue-Free.
Its currently one of the best-selling double-sided carpet tapes for area rugs on Amazon right now- and I will tell you why;
- It helps prevent your area rugs, carpets, or mats from slipping, curling, or moving, making it the ideal protection from slipping hazards
- It’s especially recommended if you have kids around, the elderly, injured individuals, and even pets
- It provides excellent adhesion to both smooth and rough surfaces thanks to its high tensile strength
- It’s ideal for rug to carpet applications
- You can use it for carpet to floor applications
- It’s also perfect for carpet to carpet applications
- It’s completely safe for delicate flooring materials
- It can be easily removed by hand without leaving any residue that may damage your carpet, area rug, or wood floor finishes
- The carpet tape can be easily re-positioned and won’t cause any damage to your carpet, rug or flooring material/finish
- It’s a heavy-duty carpet tape that will last a long time after installation
- It’s extremely easy to install and remove
- It’s a multipurpose tape that can be used for a wide range of other applications such as picture frames, ornaments, decorations, and so much more
- This carpet tape is also weather and moisture-resistant
- Ideal for both indoors and outdoors
- Its available in different sizes
- It’s quite cheap and affordable
How Much Does the XFasten Double Sided Carpet Tape Cost?
This carpet tape is dirt cheap.
The price may differ with the size of the tape.
If you’re looking to keep a big rug in place, you might want to get a longer tape.
Additionally, the tape also comes in different sizes- from 2-Inches, 3-Inches, and 4-Inches.
3. Get Yourself a Heavy-Duty Area Rug
A heavy area rug is less likely to shift on your carpet compared to a light one.
Such rugs tend to be thicker and much heavier and of course, high-quality.
A new high-quality and heavy-duty area will definitely solve your problem while keeping your home accidents-free.
If you’re looking to buy a brand new area rug to place on your carpet, I totally recommend one of the most popular area rugs on Amazon right now;
It’s a heavy-duty non-shedding polypropylene shag area rug.
The rug is very heavy, thick, and incredibly soft.
You might not need an area rug or carpet tape underneath it to stop it from creeping on your carpet.
Simply choose the desired size and enjoy luxurious comfort.
How to Secure Area Rug on Top of Carpet-Bottom Line
Nothing is more frustrating than having to keep fixing your area rug to keep it in place on your carpet or any other wood flooring.
The good news is that there is a solution to this headache.
You can either use a high-quality non-slip rug pad or simply use a double-sided carpet glue to secure it firmly on the carpet.
Alternatively, you can always get a new area rug but you have to ensure that it’s heavy enough to hold on to the carpet.
Hopefully, you’ve now learnt how to best secure an area rug on top of carpet. No more slipping or moving.
Why You Need a Rug Pad for Carpets
By now, you probably have the perfect rug and know where you want it to go. But before laying it down, consider getting your hands on a rug pad.
Rug pads may seem like unnecessary accessories, niche curios that the salesperson at your local home decor store may try to upsell you. But while their use and function may seem limited, they are essential for several reasons, regardless of what floor covering it may be laid over.
A few key benefits of rug pads include:
- Preventing your rug from slipping or curling up
- Extending your rug’s life by preventing bunching up
- Protecting your floor from indentations caused by heavy furniture and scratches
- Adding another layer of softness
- Reducing noise
- Insulating your room from a cold floor
In particular, rug pads protect your floor from the extra friction and wear that rugs can cause. We highly recommend using rug pads in all areas of your home.
Why Rugs Move on Carpet
Rug pads are also good for preventing your rug from moving when placed on a carpeted area. Rugs tend to move – little by little – with almost every footfall. They do this because they follow the carpet’s pile movement, which changes with every step.
Typically, carpets are installed with their piles facing the entryway to the room, making it more aesthetically pleasing due to enhanced color richness. Ergo, the rug will move in that direction when it is stepped on.
Additionally, carpets with longer and plushier fibers tend to be more susceptible to this effect. These fibers have less grip on your rug, while shorter, scruffier carpet fibers are better at keeping rugs in place.
All of this amounts to yet another reason why you should consider investing in a rug pad.