How do I keep my couch from sliding on hardwood floors?
If your couch keeps sliding on your hardwood floors and you always find yourself having to reposition it all the time, it’s time you found a permanent fix to this annoying problem.
One of the best ways to prevent your couch from constantly sliding whenever someone sits on it is by placing some furniture grippers underneath it.
This is by far the most effective method and I know this because I use these grippers too on all my furniture and I have to say they do the job just right.
There are countless non-slip furniture grippers in the market right now but the only grippers I am going to recommend are the X-Protector Non Slip Furniture Grippers.
These anti-skid rubber furniture pads help keep your couch in place all the time. The pads have a tenacious adhesive that firmly holds them onto your couch so they don’t come off easily.
They will stay in place for a very long time.
Another huge benefit with these furniture grippers is that they also protect your beautiful hardwood floors against scratches that may occur as a result of the couch sliding constantly.
The grippers also protect your wooden floors against dents and other serious damage since couches are quite heavy and therefore tend to exert a lot of pressure on the floor.
That said, right below is a list of all the things you’ll absolutely love about the X-Protector Non-Slip Furniture Gripper Pads;
How Do I Keep my Couch from Sliding on Hardwood Floors?
Why I Recommend the X-Protector Non-Slip Furniture Gripper Pads
- They prevent couches and other furniture from sliding on hardwood floors- they are a great choice if you’re looking for the best furniture grippers for hardwood floors
- They will protect your sensitive hardwood floors against scratches, nicks, scuff marks, and dents- thus prolonging the life of your floors while keeping it aesthetically appealing
- These furniture grippers are completely safe for your hardwood floors- they won’t discolor your floors, even though they are made of rubber. A lot of people who have used these grippers underneath their furniture feet have not reported any complaints about them staining their wooden floors
- They are also safe for all types of floors- including laminate, vinyl, bamboo, tile, marble, and others
- They are not just suitable for couches, but also on all types of furniture including beds, sectionals, dressers, tables, dining chairs, and others
- They do not leave a sticky residue on your hardwood floors- the backing is exclusively made of rubber so you can be sure that there won’t be any gooey messes left behind to destroy your beautiful floors
- The grippers are really long lasting- as mentioned earlier, they have a tenacious adhesive that tightly holds them on furniture feet for a very long period of time. You wont need to replace them any time soon
- They are available in a wide range of colors, sizes, thickness, and styles- just choose those that best suit your couch feet
- They are really easy to install and remove as well
- They are quite cheap and affordable too
Other Effective Ways to Prevent Sofa from Moving on Hardwood Floors
1. Placing a High-Pile Area Rug Beneath the Couch
I consider placing furniture grippers like the X-Protector Non Slip Furniture Grippers on your couch is the best way to prevent it from sliding on hardwood floors.
However, this is not the only way to do so.
Placing a thick area rug underneath your hardwood flooring is yet another effective way to prevent your couch from sliding and scratching your beautiful floors.
You need to ensure that the area rug is a little bit thick as low pile rugs may not help much with the sliding.
Adding an area rug won’t just prevent your sofa from sliding- but it will also protect your hardwood floors against scratches and dents, not to mention adding luxurious foot comfort.
If you don’t have a high-pile area rug, I would like to recommend the Unique Loom Solo Solid Shag Collection Modern Plush Taupe Area Rug.
The Unique Loom Shag Area Rug is one of the best-selling area rugs on Amazon right now- and it’s all for the right reasons.
It’s not only beautiful with a variety of colors to choose from, but it’s also made to last, thanks to its high-quality polypropylene construction.
Since it’s a high-pile rug, you can place it underneath your couch to prevent slipping.
The couch feet will sink into the fibres of this rug, thus restricting movement. This in addition to the heavy weight of the couch on this rug will help keep it in place at all times, even when the kids are jumping on the couch.
However, you will need to purchase a larger rug size that will allow you to place your couch right underneath it.
Be sure to take the dimensions of your living room or any other room with couches so ensure that the rug you buy will extend its reach to these couches.
Of course, you’ll end up spending a lot more money but I can assure you- it’s totally worth it.
Another important thing worth mentioning is that since this rug is made with polypropylene, it may not be completely safe for your hardwood floors especially when placed directly.
Polypropylene rugs tend to release a chemical odor during the off-gassing process and these gasses may negatively react with the chemicals on your floor’s finish. This may dull your hardwood floors or even cause discoloration over time.
For this reason, it’s important that you place a high-quality felt rug pad right underneath the rug.
The felt rug pad will prevent the chemicals in your rug from staining your hardwood floors.
Also, the rug pad will protect your hardwood floors while extending its life, not to mention providing luxurious comfort by adding some extra cushioning.
One of the best rug pads for hardwood floors is the RUGPADUSA 100% Felt – Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
The pad is made of 100% felt material- it does not contain any rubber, latex, or other harmful synthetic material.
But hey, there is no pressure at all.
If you’re not ready to cover your beautiful hardwood floors with a big rug, you can always go with the cheaper option- the X-Protector Non-Slip Furniture Grippers.
NB: The Unique Loom Shag Rug is made with polypropylene, which means the rug will expel some sort of unpleasant smell when you first unpack it. This is completely normal as the rug is simply off-gassing. The odor will eventually subside especially if you place the rug in a well-ventilated room. However, you can hasten the off-gassing process by placing the rug outside on a sunny day as this will increase aeration and thus quickly eliminate the odor.
How Do I Keep my Couch from Sliding on Hardwood Floors?- Bottom Line
There you have it- it’s not so hard to stop your couch from constantly sliding on hardwood floors.
Placing furniture grippers on your couch feet is one of the most effective yet affordable ways to prevent this.
However, you can also fix this problem and add some style to your living room by purchasing a high-pile shag area rug like the Unique Loom Shag Area Rug.
Either way, it’s important to stop your couch from sliding on your wooden floors since this can easily cause irreversible damage to your floors.