Do you need a pad under an area rug on hardwood floors?
I’ll go straight to the point with this one.
Yes, you definitely need a pad under the area rug on your hardwood floor- and I’ll explain why.
Should You Put a Pad Under an Area Rug?
Yes, you should.
You see, most area rugs in the market right now have backings that are either made of rubber, latex, or other synthetic materials.
The materials I’ve mentioned have one thing in common;
“They are not safe for your beautiful hardwood floors.”
The problem with rubber-backed or latex backed area rugs is that they contain chemicals that have a tendency of reacting with the chemicals in your hardwood floor finish.
With time, this chemical reaction results in an extensive discoloration of your hardwood floors.
If this happens over a long period of time, these stains may become permanent and therefore hard to get rid off.
Even worse, rugs that have backings made of synthetic materials like plastic are extremely rough and therefore tend to scratch your hardwood floors.
As you well know, scratches on your hardwood floors can be frustrating as they not only make your floor look really old, but they can also significantly lower the value of your home.
That’s why it’s highly advisable that you place a rug pad underneath.
There are many rug pads in the market but the only rug pad that I recommend right now is the RUGPADUSA 1/2″ Thick – 100% Felt – Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
This is the only rug pad I use on my hardwood floors and the only reason why I chose it over countless other rug pads is because it does not have a rubber bottom.
Yes, the RUGPADUSA Rug Pad is made from 100% felt material and unlike other rug pads which have a rubber or latex backing to help it grip onto the hard floor surfaces, this pad is free from these staining materials.
I’ve seen a lot of people complaining about such rug pads as they actually assumed that these pads would prevent their rubber-backed area rugs from staining their floors.
In addition to having no rubber or latex, this rug pad is also heavier and denser than most rug pads in the market.
You know what this means?
Well, this simply means that it won’t slip when stepped on so even if you have an area rug that has a slippery backing, this rug pad will help solve this problem.
This is actually another reason why you should definitely consider placing a rug pad under your slippery area rug on hardwood floor.
Another important reason is that a rug pad actually prolongs the life of your hardwood floors and that of your area rug as well!
So you definitely have nothing to lose by putting a rug pad underneath your area rug. It’s one of the best investments you’ll ever make for your floor and rug.
More Reasons Why the RUGPADUSA Rug Pad is the Best Rug Pad for Hardwood Floors
- The rug pad adds some extra thick cushion that allows you to enjoy a plush feel and luxurious comfort on your feet.
- The rug pad protects your hardwood floors while prolonging its life- it protects your floor against scratches from furniture and a rug with rough backing, spills, dents from furniture legs, and even foot traffic that may cause it to wear out quickly
- The rug pad comes in various thicknesses- these include ½ inch, ¼ inch, and 3/8 inch thickness. If you prefer a more bouncy feel on your floor, the ½ inch thickness is an excellent choice
- The rug is made from 100% felt- felt is a safe material for all types of floors- It wont stain or scratch your beautifly wood floors
- It adds warmth to the floor and the room- this is all thanks to its excellent insulation properties. Although hardwood floors are generally warm compared to other hard floor surfaces like tile, they are actually a little cold to touch. That’s why a lot of people usually place area rugs to make the floor warmer. Placing a rug pad will definitely increase the warmth and comfort of the floor and the room itself
- The rug pad provides a non-slip surface. Like I had earlier stated, some area rugs have synthetic or natural fiber backings that are quite slippery when placed on a bare wood floor. A slipping area rug is not only annoying, but it also poses a great safety hazard as it can cause serious injuries due to slipping or falling. Having such a rug especially with kids or an elderly person around can be dangerous. Placing a felt area rug is one of the best ways to prevent such problems.
- It’s available in a wide range of sizes. Be sure to choose a size that best suits your area rug. A good thing about this rug pad is that it can be easily trimmed with scissors to a custom size that will perfectly fit your rug. NB: While trimming the rug pad to size, make sure that it’s at least 1-inch smaller than the area rug. This basically allows the edges of the rug to taper to the floor, thus preventing tripping in case your heel gets caught on the edge.
- It does not contain any toxic fumes that may spoil your indoor air quality
- It’s really strong and durable and will therefore hold up for a very long time
- Its budget-friendly
Word of Caution: Avoid cheap rug pads at all costs. They will ruin your hardwood floors and you definitely don’t want this. More importantly, avoid those that contain rubber or latex as they will leave a yellow stain on your beautiful floors. I’ve recommended the RUGPADUSA Felt Rug Pad because it does not contain any of these materials, which makes it completely safe for your wood floors.
Do You Need a Pad Under an Area Rug on Hardwood Floors?- Bottom Line
You definitely need a rug pad under the area rug on your hardwood floors.
It will protect your floor and at the same time prolong its life. The pad will also increase comfort, increase warmth, and even reduce noise thanks to its extra thickness.
So do you need a pad under an area rug on hardwood floors? Of course!