Can you put rubber backed area rugs on hardwood floors?
Well, the simple truth is that rubber backed area rugs are bad news.
You see, the problem with such rugs is that they do contain some toxic dissolving agents that may react with your hardwood floor finish, thus causing some serious discoloration or leaving marks that may need to be resealed or sanded.
Another big problem with rubber-backed area rugs is that the toxins in the rug can slowly eat away at your precious hardwood floors when they react with your floor’s finish.
I cannot also forget to mention the fact that rubber-backed area rugs block ventilation and therefore tend to retain moisture.
Moisture and hardwood floors are a very bad combination and the result is always a ruined floor- sometimes, permanently.
However, considering that a majority of area rugs in the market have rubber-backing, there is something you can do to prevent the rug from ruining your hardwood floors.
If you already have a rubber-backed rug, I recommend placing a high-quality rug pad.
One of the best rug pads for hardwood floors is the RUGPADUSA Protective Cushioned Rug Pad. (I am going to list down all the advantages of placing this rug pad right below.)
If you’re looking to purchase an area rug without rubber backing, I recommend the nuLOOM Moroccan Blythe Accent Rug.
The nuLOOM Moroccan Blythe Accent Rug is one of the best, versatile, and affordable area rugs and the biggest advantage is that it does not have a rubber or latex backing.
This means it’s completely safe for your hardwood floors.
However, the lack of a rubber backing makes this rug a little bit slippery especially if you’re not going to anchor heavy furniture over it.
In that case, I am going to recommend placing a high-quality and dense rug pad like the RUGPADUSA Protective Cushion Rug Pad.
The rug pad is made of 100% felt and does not have a rubber backing like other rug pads in the market.
This is why I totally recommend it.
And although it does not have a rubber backing, you might worry about it slipping on your hardwood floors.
I can assure you that this won’t happen since it’s quite dense and will therefore stay in place, even in high-traffic areas.
It will help your area rug stay in place at all times.
That said, below is a list of all the things you’ll love about the RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Protective Cushion Rug Pad.
Can You Put Rubber Backed Area Rugs on Hardwood Floors?
Why Do I Recommend the RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Protective Cushion Rug Pad?
The RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Rug Pad is currently one of the best-selling rug pads on Amazon and it’s all for the right reasons.
- The rug pad does not have a rubber backing that may discolor your hardwood floors- it’s constructed with felt on both surfaces and is therefore safe for your floors
- It helps protect your hardwood floors against damage from furniture- like scratches, dents, and scratches from area rugs with rough backings
- It prolongs the life of your hardwood floors- one of the biggest advantages of placing a rug pad beneath an area rug on hardwood floors is the fact that it increases the life of your hardwood floors, especially in high traffic areas. By creating a strong shield between the rug and hardwood floor, less damage is imposed on the floor. This means that your heavy furniture or chairs dragged on the floor won’t cause any serious damage to your floors
- It increases the life of your area rug as well.- This may seem a little bit strange as the area rug is more exposed to foot traffic but the truth is, a rug pad creates a thick buffer that easily absorbs shock and impact from furniture and foot traffic, thus protecting your rug. This is one reason why you should definitely consider placing a thick rug pad under your area rug on hardwood floor
- It provides great comfort by providing extra cushioning between your area rug and hardwood floors. Most area rugs are generally thin and although they do add some comfort, they aren’t as bouncy. High-pile area rugs are also comfy but do not provide that bouncy feel we so crave. A thick rug pad is perfectly capable of providing a bouncy feel for great feet comfort
- Rug pads have excellent insulation properties. Since hardwood floors can be a little bit cold to touch especially during winter, placing a rug pad between your floor and area rug is a great way to add a little warmth to your house
- Rug pads also have great sound absorption properties. Bare hardwood floors alone won’t protect your family against the horrible noises coming from your neighbors living in the floor above you. And considering that most area rugs are not really thick enough to block sound, placing a thick rug pad like the RUGPADUSA Rug Pad is a sure way to do so
- The pad is heavier and denser compared to most rug pads in the market- thus it offers maximum cushioning
- It comes in varying sizes- simply choose a size that best suits your area rug size
- It can be easily trimmed to size with a pair of scissors- In case you end up purchasing a bigger rug pad, you can trim it to size. When trimming, make sure that the rug pad is 1-inch smaller than the area rug. This will allow the edges of the rug to taper to the floor. This will help prevent the shoe heels from getting caught on the edge, preventing tripping hazards
- It does not contain any toxic materials that may spoil your indoor air, either does it contain materials like rubber or latex that may ruin your floors
- It allows for great ventilation and thus allows your hardwood floors to breathe, thus preventing moisture build up that may end up causing your floors to rot
- It has excellent water absorption properties so in case of a spill, the water won’t reach your hardwood floors
- It’s quite affordable and a great value of money
How Much Does the RUGPADUSA Cost and Where to Buy It?
You can get this rug pad directly on Amazon at an affordable price. When you purchase it at Amazon, you can rest assured that you’re only getting a genuine product- not a cheap knock-off. This is because the product is only sold by a genuine supplier. Plus it’s made in the USA.
You can Click Here to Check its Current Price on Amazon.
Can You Put Rubber Backed Area Rugs on Hardwood Floors?- Bottom Line
There you have it.
Rubber backed area rugs are not safe for hardwood floors- unless you place a high-quality rug pad between the floor and rug to avoid damaging the expensive flooring.
I know that rubber-backed area rugs are good because of their non-slip properties but the fact that they pose a great danger for your beautiful hardwood floors makes them less desirable for homeowners with hardwood floors.
Of course, you can always go for non-rubber rugs like the nuLOOM Blythe Area Rug and place a rug pad to prevent slipping. You’ll end up saving a lot more money and a headache.