Can I use carpet padding under an area rug?
The simple answer is yes.
The truth is, putting an area rug on a bare floor without a carpet padding can not only result in damage to the rug over time, but it also poses a great slipping hazard since area rugs have backing that are generally slippery.
Falls and slips associated with carpets and rugs are very common, which is why experts recommend installing a carpet padding (also known as a rug pad) as soon as possible is a sound way to keep your home safe.
The Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non Slip Rug Pad is one of the best rug pads for putting under area rugs.
This rug pad does not slip due to its textured pattern rubber backing that allows it to grip the floor.
The rug pad is also incredibly thick and thus provides a plush, comfortable feel while walking on the area rug.
And most importantly, the Mohawk Home Dual Surface Non Slip Pad prolongs the life of your area rug while protecting the floor underneath.
That’s why, I have listed 10 more reasons why the Mohawk Home Non Slip Rug Pad is a suitable option for your area rug.
Can I Use Carpet Padding Under an Area Rug?
10 Reasons Why the Mohawk Home Dual Surface Rug Pad is Essential
1.The rug pad helps prevent slipping by keeping the area rug flat and in one place- it won’t curl on the edges
2.It helps protect your area rug from wear and tear by absorbing all the impact from foot traffic. It basically acts as a shock absorber which helps take strain off the rug fibers
3. It helps protect the floor underneath. One of the most common reasons why most homeowners install rug pads is because the rough backing of area rugs scratches hardwood floors and other types of hard floor surfaces. Scratches often occur whenever the area rug shifts due to constant foot traffic. A rug pad basically acts as a protective barrier between your floors and area rug
4.It helps protect the floor underneath from discoloration and staining. In addition to protecting floors from scratches due to the area rug’s rough backing, a rug pad also protects your floors from discoloration and staining when the chemicals in the area rug backing react with the surface finishes on your floors. Most area rugs have rubber backings, a material that is known to cause discoloration on wood floors and other hard floor surfaces. A rug pad provides a protective shield to your floors by preventing color transfer from the rug to the floor.
5. It provides a plush feel to your feet. The Mohawk Non Slip Rug pad is ¼ inch thick and very dense. With such kind of thickness and density, this rug pad creates a thick cushion which feels bouncy and comfortable. Your kids and pets will also love playing on the area rug
6. It’s completely safe for children and pets- this rug pad does not contain any harmful chemicals. The top side is made of felt which is completely safe while the downside is made of latex which is also not known to contain any harmful chemicals
7. Its suitable for use with all types of area rugs
8. It can be easily trimmed with scissors to match the exact size and shape of your area rug
9. It also comes in oval and round shaped for area rugs with the shape
10. It won’t discolor your hardwood floors and other hard floor surfaces
11.It won’t leave any residue on the floor since it does not contain adhesives on the backing
12. It helps protect your floors from scratches, scuffs, punctures, and furniture indentations
13. It prevents your area rug from bunching and curling
14. Its built to last and won’t wear and tear as long as it remains under the area rug
15. It comes at an affordable price
Where to Buy the Mohawk Non Slip Rug Pad at an Affordable Price?
I recommend purchasing this rug pad directly on Amazon as it’s way cheaper there. I know many online sellers have it too but they are not as cheap as Amazon.
Plus it can be hard to find locally.
Additionally, you won’t have to worry about buying a knock off. On Amazon, you’ll be purchasing it from a genuine and reputable seller.
As a best-selling rug pad on Amazon, you’ll also get to read all the good things that many customers who have purchased it have to say about it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Do You Need a Rug Pad Under an Area Rug on Hardwood Floors?
A rug pad provides a protective barrier between your area rug and hardwood floors.
Hardwood floors are generally slippery and if your area rug has a rubber backing, your house becomes a slipping hazard.
That’s why it’s important that you install a high quality non slip rug pad.
A rug pad also makes your area rug on hardwood floors plush and comfortable to your feet.
In addition to providing a plush feel, a rug pad also helps insulate against cold and noise too.
And most importantly, installing a rug pad is one way to protect your hardwood floors and also extend the life of your area rug.
So yes, you do really need a rug pad under your area rug on hardwood floors.
2. Should You Put a Pad Under an Oriental Rug?
Like any other type of rug, an oriental rug does need some solid support beneath it in order to reduce the possibility of weakening at the bottom and stretching.
Oriental rugs can be slippery too and a rug pad can help reduce this risk.
You might also need a rug pad under your oriental rug if you’re placing the rug over an uneven surface such as a hardwood floor with sharp edges or even a tile floor.
The Mohawk Home Non Slip Rug pad is an excellent choice for your oriental rug.
3.How Do You Install Carpet Padding Under an Area Rug?
Installing a carpet padding under an area rug is pretty easy.
Your rug pad will come rolled. All you have to do is unroll it on the floor and smooth out any bumps.
Next, unroll your area rug over the rug pad.
The rug pad should be slightly smaller than the area rug. If it’s bigger, all you have to do is cut it to size with a pair of scissors.
Can I Use Carpet Padding Under Area Rug?- Bottom Line
A carpet padding or rug pad is very important when it comes to reducing slipping hazards in your home.
A rug pad also does a great job prolonging the life of your rug, not to mention protecting your hard floor surfaces.
I definitely recommend using a carpet padding like the Mohawk Home Non Slip Rug Pad under an area rug for these reasons and more.