Are you looking for the best rug pad for jute rug? If yes, then you’ve come to the right place.
Jute rugs are so incredibly unique and their benefits are countless. With their warm earth tones and an attractive flat weave design, jute rugs are an excellent addition to any setting- both casual and formal.
Jute area rugs are not only incredibly durable, but they also provide exceptional foot comfort.
Additionally, their natural, earth tone blends in perfectly with all types of floors- especially hardwood flooring.
On the flipside, most natural jute rugs do not have a non-slip backing and therefore tend to slide a little bit- unless anchored down with heavy furniture or items.
The slipping problem of jute rugs is actually one of the main reasons why you should consider getting a high-quality rug pad.
Some rug pads have a rubber or latex backing that prevents the rug from sliding on the floors.
In this article, I am going to review 7 rug pads that you can place right under your jute rug to protect your floor and extend the life of your rug.
If you have a hardwood floor, laminate, vinyl, or bamboo floor, I recommend going for a rug pad that doesn’t have a rubber backing.
Rubber-backed rug pads have these chemicals that react with your floor’s finish and thus leaves yellow stains which can be difficult to remove.
That said, let’s dive right in.
In a rush, check out this comparison table containing all the 7 jute rug rug pads.
Product Name Image Price 1.RUGPADUSA - Basics 100% Felt Rug Pad 2.RUGPADUSA Felt and Rubber Rug Pad 3.Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex 4.Gorilla Grip Original Area Rug Gripper Pad 5.Veken Non-Slip Rug Pad Gripper
Also read: Do You Need a Rug Pad with a Jute Rug?
Best Rug Pad for Jute Rug (Our Top 7 Picks and Comprehensive Buyer’s Guide)
One of the best rug pads for jute rugs is the RUGPADUSA 100% Protective Cushioning Rug Pad.
In fact the RUGPADUSA Cushioning Rug Pad happens to be one of the best-selling rug pads on Amazon, and it’s all for the right reasons.
One, this rug pad adds some extra thick cushion between your jute rug and the floor, thus providing superb luxurious comfort.
Although jute rugs provide a great feel underfoot, they can be a little bit rough as they are made from natural fibres.
Installing a thick rug pad underneath the rug is one of the best ways to increase comfort by adding some extra cushioning.
The RUGPADUSA rug pad is a lot more heavier and denser compared to most rug pads in the market. This makes it an excellent choice if you’re looking to increase cushioning for comfort.
Two, this high-quality rug pad helps protect your floor against damage.
As you well know, furniture sliding on floors, especially hardwood floors, laminate, and vinyl, can leave some unsightly scratches, dents, scuffs, and other damage which can be irreversible at some point.
By providing a strong shield between your jute rug and floor, this rug pad is able to not only prevent furniture damage on the floor, but also increases the longevity of both the floor and the area rug.
Other features and benefits worth mentioning about the RUGPADUSA Rug Pad include;
- Provides excellent insulation- keeps your feet warm and cozy
- The thick pad has excellent sound absorbing properties- this makes it ideal for story houses or apartments as it avoids disturbance
- Made from 100% recycled felt- quality guaranteed
- Made in USA
- Comes in different sizes and thicknesses
The RUGPADUSA Cushioning Rug Pad is without a doubt one of the most popular felt rug pads in the market right now.
However, it does have one little problem- it’s not non slip and is therefore not intended to stop your jute rug from slipping around.
The manufacturer recommends this rug pad for larger area rugs that can be anchored down by furniture. Area rugs that are quite heavy also prevent the rug pad from sliding.
The good news is that jute rugs can be a little bit heavy and will thus prevent this rug pad from slipping.
Our second best rug pad for jute rug is the RUGPAD USA Felt and Rubber Superior Lock Premium Non Slip Rug Padding.
The major difference between this rug pad with our top pick from the same company is that this one has a non-slip backing while the other one doesn’t have one.
As I already mentioned, rubber-backed rug pads can actually leave stain and marks on your floor.
However, in the case of the RUGPADUSA Felt and Rubber Superior Lock Padding, it’s made with Natural Rubber.
According to its manufacturer, their natural rubber rug pad won’t stain, strip, or mar your hardwood floor, laminate floor, or vinyl floor- as long as proper instructions are strictly followed.
So if you’re skeptical about purchasing a rug pad for sensitive floors like hardwood floors, I totally recommend the RUGPADUSA Felt and Rubber padding.
If you’re looking for a non-slip rug pad for hardwood floors, this pad is also an excellent choice.
It boasts of a textured checker rubber backing that is constructed with additional 5oz for excellent non-slip performance.
The pad also comes in two thicknesses- ¼” and 7/16”.
If you want more cushioning, the ¼” rug pad is the ideal choice.
Other notable features worth mentioning include;
- Great Breathability- The felt pad is needle punched which makes the entire layer highly breathable for easy vacuuming. Increased air flow also prevents the rug pad from retaining moisture, thus reducing the possibility of staining the floors. Increased breathability also makes this rug pad completely safe for use with radiant heated floors
- Has excellent absorption properties- the rug pad easily catches any contaminants that fall through you jute rug, plus its numerous perforations make it easy to vacuum
- Its Made in USA
- Available in both square and round shapes
- Few complaints about the rug not providing enough grip to keep area rugs in place
Also see: Do Rug Pads Damage Hardwood Floors?
Our third best rug pad for jute rug is the Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non Slip Rug Pad.
When placed under a jute rug, this rug pad will not only protect your floor and increase the longevity of your jute rug- it will also prevent your rug from slipping and bunching.
This thick rug pad provides extra thick cushioning which increases underfoot comfort.
It also prevents the rug from curling at the edges or bunching, thus preventing trip hazards.
And due to its extra thick cushioning, this rug pad keeps your feet warm and even effectively absorbs sound.
Other features and benefits worth mentioning include;
- It’s safe for all types of floors
- Mohawk offers two rug pad options- latex-backed rug pad and standard felt pad
- It has two sides-the felt side is designed to firmly grip the rug while the latex side is designed to grip the flooring, thus preventing sliding. NB: Since this rug has a latex backing, it may stain sensitive floors such as hardwood, laminate, vinyl, and linoleum. It’s better suited for hard floor surfaces like tile. I recommend going for the RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Cushioning Rug Pad as does not have any rubber backing that may stain your floors
- It’s easy to cut to size- the Mohawk Rug Pad can be easily trimmed with a pair of scissors in order to match the exact size and shape of your jute rug. NB: When cutting the rug pad to size, make sure that it’s about 1-inch less than your rug size on all sides so it remains well hidden. The rug pad being 1-inch smaller than the area rug also allows the edges of the rug to taper to the floor, that preventing them from curling
- Available in various thicknesses to suit your flooring and jute rug- they include 1/8”, ¼”, ½”
- Its Green Label Plus Certified-tested and approved for eco-friendliness, improved cushion, and ability to improve indoor quality
- Made in the USA
- Few complaints about the pad being a little bit dense
The Gorilla Grip Area Rug Gripper Pad is yet another excellent rug pad option for your jute rug.
The Gorilla Grip Area Rug Gripper Pad is currently one of the best-selling rug pads on Amazon.
It features an open grid construction that allows your rug to breath and even offers unmatched protection to your floor against scratches and dents especially from furniture.
The rug pad is strong and durable- it’s constructed with high-quality materials so you won’t need to replace it any time soon.
And since it’s non-slip, your jute rug won’t slip or bunch on smooth surfaces like hardwood floors, concrete, laminate floors, vinyl floors, and others.
The rug pad comes pre-cut in many different sizes. However, it can be easily trimmed to fit your rug size or shape.
This mesh-like rug pad also makes it easy for you to vacuum your jute rug. It won’t bunch or slide when vacuuming.
The Gorilla Grip Area Rug Gripper Pad is also quite cheap.
On the flipside, it may leave some waffle marks on your hardwood floors. I have seen a few people complaining about this.
The marks may be more prominent in high traffic areas.
Therefore, this rug pad may not be the best option for your hardwood floors. You might want to check out these rug pads that are safe for hardwood floors.
Our 5th best rug pad for jute rugs is another best-seller, the Veken Non-Slip Rug Pad Gripper.
Like the Gorilla Rug Pad, the Veken Gripper pad also features an open grid construction that allows both the rug and floor to breathe.
With its non-slip backing, the Veken Non-Slip Rug Pad Gripper will keep your slippery jute rug in place while preventing bunching.
This rug pad is also quite thick and will therefore give your jute rug a slight bounce for luxurious foot comfort.
This high-quality gripper rug pad will protect your floors against everyday wear and tear- especially in high-traffic areas.
However, because this rug pad is made of PVC and a plastic/rubber backing, it may leave stains on your hardwood floors.
In fact, after sometime, you may notice some waffle rug pad marks on your floor.
Although you can easily remove these rug pad marks on hardwood floors with the right tools and products, I don’t recommend placing this rug pad on such a sensitive floor.
It’s perfect for tile, concrete, or marble flooring though.
The pad comes in various sizes and can even be trimmed to fit your jute rug’s size and shape.
- Not safe for hardwood floors- may leave stains or waffle marks on your beautiful floors
Best Rug Pad for Jute Rug- Bottom Line
These are the top 5 most popular rug pads that will work really well with your new jute rug.
Jute Rug is one of the most durable area rugs that also blends in really well with any casual or formal setting.
Just remember that some of these rug pads are not safe for your hardwood floors, laminate floors, vinyl floors, and other sensitive floors.
You certainly don’t want to deal with hard-to-remove waffle marks on your beautiful floor.
The RUGPADUSA 100% Felt Rug Pad is a much better option for your hardwood floor.
That said, go ahead and take your pick in this comprehensive list of the best rug pad for jute rug.