Polypropylene rugs are some of the most popular rugs in the market.
These rags are built to withstand wear and tear, heavy foot traffic, and all kinds of weather.
Polypropylene is hands down one of the best materials for rugs. These rugs are often compared to wool and other dense textile rugs.
Are Polypropylene Rugs Safe for Vinyl Floors?
The simple answer is No.
Polypropylene rugs are not safe for your vinyl floors.
Although vinyl floors generally resist staining and scuffing, it can easily become discolored when the chemicals inside the rug backing react with the chemicals found in vinyl.
So What Do You Do If You’ve Already Purchased a Polypropylene Rug for your Vinyl Flooring?
Don’t throw your new rug just yet.
There is a solution that will allow you to keep your beautiful rug and still keep your vinyl floor well protected.
I am talking about using a high-quality rug pad that is completely safe on all types of floors.
All you have to do is place a rug pad on your vinyl floor and then place your polypropylene rug on top.
Also see: Will Rubber Backed Rugs Discolor Vinyl?
What is the Best Rug Pad for Vinyl Plank Flooring?
I am going to recommend using the RUGPADUSA – Protective Cushioning Rug Pad as it’s currently one of the best-selling rug pads for all types of floors and finishes.
This pad adds some extra cushioning while at the same time protecting your vinyl floor.
Additionally, it provides a super thick buffer between your polypropylene rug and your floor for luxurious comfort.
It’s also one of the most affordable rug pads in the market right now, not to mention its exceptional quality and durability.
Also Read; Are Waterhog Mats Safe for Hardwood Floors?
Why Do I Recommend the RUGPADUSA- Protective Cushioning Rug Pad?
This rug is one of the most popular rug pads due to a number of reasons;
- This rug pad wont stain, mar, or strip your vinyl flooring as long as you follow the correct manufacturer instructions
- It won’t stain or mark the finish on your vinyl flooring
- It helps reduce abrasion on your floor due to the furniture placed on your polypropylene floor
- It protects your vinyl flooring against scratching and denting that may be caused by heavy furniture
- It’s made in the USA- quality and performance guaranteed
- Adds an extra thick cushion which provides luxurious comfort when stepped on. It feels very cushy
- It protects your rug, thus preventing it from wearing and tearing too soon
- You can choose a thinner rug pad style if you don’t need extra cushioning
- With the extra thickness, this rug pad provides excellent insulation, making your rug warm to the touch
- The extra thickness on this rug also enhances sound absorption. If you live on the second or higher floor, it will greatly help reduce noise from falling objects or even steps. No more complaints from your neighbour
- The rug is made from 100 percent recycled felt
- Its high-quality and long-long lasting- this rug will last for many years
- Its available in a wide range of sizes and thickness
- If you can’t find your desired size, you can simply purchase any size and trim it with scissors to perfectly fit your rug
- The rug is tightly compressed- it does not have any highs and lows
- It does not have any bad smell
- It’s not toxic and is therefore safe around babies and pets
- Its flame-resistant as felt naturally resists fire compared to rubber pads
- It’s easy to install
- It’s also easy to clean and vacuum
- It’s easy to remove stains
What You May Not Like About this Rug Pad
- It’s not a non-slip rug pad. According to the manufacturer, this rug pad is not intended to stop rugs from slipping in high-traffic areas. You will have to anchor it with furniture or place a heavy rug to help it stay in place. If you want a non-slip rug pad that is safe for your vinyl floors, I would recommend the RUGPADUSA Anchor Grip Cushioned Non-Slip Rug Pad
Also Read; Bathroom Rugs Safe for Vinyl Flooring
How Much Does this Rug Pad Cost?
This RUGPADUSA rug pad is quite cheap and affordable.
The cost varies with the size of the rug.
Bigger rugs obviously cost more.
The good news is that these rugs are built to last and you therefore won’t need a replacement any time soon.
Click Here to Check its Current Price on Amazon
Also Read; How to Secure Area Rug on Top of Carpet
Are Polypropylene Rugs Safe for Vinyl Floors?- Bottom Line
Polypropylene rugs are not safe for vinyl floors.
Unless you’ve purchased a non-staining rug which has been labeled as “colorfast”, the safest way to ensure that your sensitive vinyl floor is well-protected is by using a quality rug pad like the RUGPADUSA Protective Cushioned Rug Pad.
You’ll sleep better knowing that your expensive floors are safe.